With even further investment being pumped into battery manufacturing and gigafactories, now is the time to consider battery technology across the lifecycle within the context of the supply chain.
Attend the International EV Batteries 2021 conference to hear the latest developments in battery design, testing, thermal management, charging and integration right across the lifecycle of the battery for a more resilient and cost-effective battery. Join us for a live face to face event again to network with a variety of experts within the battery industry from pioneering battery and vehicle manufacturers to testing and safety specialists.
Hear case studies from applications in passenger cars, public transport and aerospace to see how a variety of sectors are overcoming the challenges in electric vehicle development. This year there will be a particular focus on the subject of material choice in the design process within the context of the manufacturing supply chain.
Join the International EV Batteries 2021 conference to:
- Hear from battery experts from organisations including Toyota, Nyobolt, Arrival, Benchmark Intelligence, Warwick Manufacturing Group, Rimac Automobili, Advanced Propulsion Centre, Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Magna Powertrain, Williams Advanced Engineering, Vertical Aerospace and UK Battery Industrialisation Centre (UKBIC)
- Find out how specific challenges of integrating EV technology into bus, aerospace and hypercar applications are being managed by leaders in the field
- Plan for a more cost-effective, stable and energy-dense battery by hearing about state of the art battery cell chemistries and design, including developments with solid-state batteries
- Gain insight into the latest battery testing techniques and technologies to ensure an efficient and safe battery
- Learn best practice for thermal management of batteries to ensure optimal temperatures for safe and efficient operation
- Join the discussion through our in-person expert-led roundtables and our question and answer sessions with the speakers
Key programme highlights:
- Benchmark Mineral Intelligence examines the supply and demand fundamentals of the lithium market
- Jaguar Land Rover talk about the concept and production of their cylindrical cell module
- Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company discuss the reasons behind their choices of battery and fuel cell technology options
- BP highlight their latest technology for sustained high-power charging of electric vehicles
- Rimac Automobili share insights into hypercar battery innovation
Key speakers include:
- Timothy D'Herde, Division General Manager - Powertrain and Fuel Cell Business R&D, Toyota Motor Europe
- Joe Bakaj, Vice Chairman, Britishvolt
- James Marco, Head of Energy Directorate, Warwick Manufacturing Group
- Richard Dawson, Chief Technology Officer, LiNa Energy
- Wasim Sarwar Dilov, Head of Research & Advanced Engineering, Rimac Automobili
- Dave OudeNijeweme, Head of Technology Trends, Advanced Propulsion Centre
- Neil Miles, Head of Engineering, Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company
- Ian Whiting, Commercial Director, UK Battery Industrialisation Centre (UKBIC)
Technical Advisory Board:
- Paul McNamara, Technical Director, Williams Advanced Engineering
- Billy Wu, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering, Dyson School of Design Engineering, Imperial College London
- Laura Lander, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Imperial College London
- Paul Jones, Chief Executive, Northern Automotive Alliance
- Lisa Bingley, MTI Operations Director, MTI
- Daniel Fung, Senior Project Delivery Lead, Advanced Propulsion Centre UK
Attendees from previous conferences included representatives from:
|3M United Kingdom plc
Advanced Forming Research Centre
Advanced Propulsion Systems
AGM Batteries Ltd
Angel Trains Ltd
Anglo EV Ltd
Aston Martin Lagonda Limited
AVL Powertrain UK Ltd
British Photovoltaic Association
Goodman Wolfe Consulting Ltd
Heliex Power Ltd
Honda of the UK Manufacturing Ltd
IDBC Standard Bank Plc
Imperial College London
International EV Industry Infrastructure Group (IEVIIG)
Jaguar Land Rover
Lockheed Martin UK
Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership
MAHLE Powertrain Ltd
Metro Shipping Ltd
Mitsubishi Motor R&D Europe
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
Nifco UK Ltd
Nissan Motors Manufacturing UK
Office for Low Emission Vehicles
Performance Projects Ltd
Reaction Engines Limited
Renault Sport Racing
Ricardo UK Ltd
RK Capital Management LLP
Samsung SDI Europe
TWS Technology Ltd
University of Brighton
University of Cambridge
University of Exeter
University of Sheffield
University of Warwick
VDL Industrial Modules
Vehicle Certification Agency
Williams Advanced Engineering
Wire and Tube Technology
Delegate feedback from previous conferences:
"Excellent event to keep up to speed with developments in the industry. There are many battery events around but this stands out being run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers with the high quality of the content and attendees from across the automotive industry"
Global Electrification Services Leader, HORIBA MIRA
"A highly informative and well organised two days that helped to bring together different subject matters to help broaden the engineering considerations with battery technologies"
Senior Principal Development Engineer, MAHLE Powertrain
"The event was extremely informative with up to date ideas and developments from a range of different companies with both complementary and contrasting viewpoints on the future direction of the industry. It has been reassuring to see the commonalities in the challenges facing those working in EV battery-related product development"
Development Engineer, Constellium
"The event was a good oppurtunity to understand the varying challenges that other market segments have and to see what solutions they have developed"
Mechanical Engineer, EC-OG
"Good variety of speakers from industry and academia providing an insight into the latest technologies that we will see on the road in the future"
Design Engineer, Supacat
"Innovative and technical, the International EV Batteries conference allows for the pressing technical discussions to have their own forum"
Senior Development Engineer, Reaction Engines Ltd
"A great technical event - very well attended from OEMs, suppliers and academia. Definitely one I will attend next year"
Global Technical Expert - Thermal Systems, Ricardo
"This event was a great mix of overview and technical detail, with a good opportunity to network with industry experts"
Director - Battery Systems, Cummins
"Overall great event with involvement of some key automotive companies and academic institutions"
Lead Research Engineer, Aston Martin Lagonda
"Very good event with excellent technical presentations and great opportunities for networking"
Project Leader, TWI
"An excellent event covering a wide variety of issues associated with EV battery systems"
Managing Director, SCE Ltd
"Excellent opportunity to network with key UK-EU players in the EV industry"
EMEA Technical Sales Executive, Johnson Matthey
"Excellent event for understanding the impact of EV batteries on the industry"
Market Director, Solvay
"The conference had a good selection of representatives from the automotive industry and many industry issues were discussed"
PhD Student, Imperial College London
Booking multiple tickets (group discounts available), on behalf of someone else or need us to make a reasonable adjustment in order for you to attend this event? Email us
Support your career development
Attending this event supports your Professional Development; if you're an IMechE Member, this can be tracked in the Career Developer section of your online account.
Please find listed below accommodation all within a 15–20 minute walk of the venue:
Travelodge London Vauxhall
Address: 3 Bondway, Vauxhall, London SW8 1SJ
Phone: 0871 559 1860
Holiday Inn Express London – Vauxhall Nine Elms
Address: 87 S Lambeth Rd, London SW8 1RN
Phone: 020 7735 9494
Crowne Plaza London - Albert Embankment
Address: 10-11 Albert Embankment, Lambeth, London SE1 7SP
Phone: 020 3146 0370
We are keen to return to in-person events and enjoy the benefits of connecting face to face. Whilst Covid-19 continues to circulate in the UK, we are taking steps to keep event participants as safe as possible. You can attend IMechE events with the confidence that the following safety measures will be in place:
Attendees are requested to maintain a distance of 1m+ from each other. Where possible, room layouts and seating will be arranged to facilitate this.
Masks / face coverings
The wearing of masks/face coverings is encouraged (although not compulsory), unless satisfactory social distancing, ventilation or air sterilisation is not possible, in which case it will be compulsory.
Attendees are requested to undertake a Covid test (lateral flow or PCR) a maximum of 24 hours prior to the start of the event/meeting.
Ventilation and air sterilisation
Where possible, rooms will be well ventilated or fitted with air sterilisers to significantly reduce the risk of transmission.
Where possible, catering will be provided in such a format as to facilitate social distancing.